Having co-founded RedButton, a Cape Town based wireless Internet company, over six years ago, the time came to move on and so I recently exited the business, which continues with success.
Looking back, I feel privileged to have gained a wealth of experience and feel proud to have built up an established business from scratch with no outside investment.
The highlights include:
- Climbing Kilimanjaro with my business partners, Barry Steyn and Kilian Hagemann, soon after founding the business, in September 2006. We also subsequently climbed the snow clad Waaihoek a number of times.
- Building and then launching the RedButton WiFi Hotspot Billing System in April 2007
- The large-scale roll-out of the RedButton WiFi Hotspot Billing System in June 2007
- Participating in and then winning the VeloCITI Business Acceleration Programme in October 2007
- Closing a deal with a major hotel, that is a part of the world’s largest hotel chain, in 2009
- Watching the business go on with success as I move on
In closing, this is to thank all the staff of RedButton and above all my family for their support. So long RedButton, and thanks for all the fish.